Sunday, September 6, 2009

Brandi Carlile.




No lyrics in the title. No catch phrase to lure you in. Just the name of this absolutely rockin' 28-year-old woman. When I first heard of Brandi Carlile, it wasn't love at first sound. For some strange reason--perhaps I wasn't paying attention close enough, or I wasn't in the mood to have my world shattered--her voice bothered me.

What was I thinking?

I have enough common sense now to recognize that Carlile's singing is surely other worldly. Her songwriting skills are truly wonderful--as demonstrated on 2006's self-titled debut and 2007's breakthrough, "The Story",-- but her real strength is that voice. First, there's her power. She can brood with the best and wail like a bat in the hands of Donny Donowitz.



Second, the heart wrenching emotion in her delivery--it is ineffable.



And third, her range and control are incredible.



She may not be blowing up your radio, but this is an artist to savor. Her third album with Columbia records, "Give Up the Ghost", hits stores Sept. 22 on vinyl and Oct. 6 on CD. Elton John, Amy Ray of The Indigo Girls, Benmont Tench of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and Chad Smith of Red Hot Chili Peppers all lend their talents. It's sure to be a doozy.

No comments: